Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

Acai Heaven.

Sep 3, 2018

If you've read all my Oahu posts then you know that one of my favourite things to eat while we were there were the Acai bowls. I seriously had one every single day. And the great thing is you can get them pretty much anywhere on the island. But are all Acai bowls treated equal? I mean they were definitely all good, but some were definitely better then others. I tried to eat one at a different place each time. Here are the one's I tried and what I did or didn't like about them.


The first morning we were at Waikiki Beach and decided to eat at Eggs N Things. I'd heard really great things about it and the location was perfect. Right across from the beach. Here is where I had my first experience with an Acai bowl. It was delicious and I instantly fell in love but ended up choosing it as my 4th because they just got better and better. In this one the Acai was frozen and I learned later on that I prefer it more with a smoothie texture. Also, this one had a cute presentation with the fruit on top but was served in just a boring bowl. And there was only one to choose from.



The view was amazing with the beach right across the street. Eggs N Things has a ton of other good breakfast options but just so you know, it is extremely popular. We waited in a line for a good hour to get in and seated. Not too sure that it was worth the long wait.



The next morning we were in Haleiwa and got our Acai Bowls at Haleiwa Bowls. This was the   cutest little stand that only sold Acai Bowls and Smoothies. They had a few different kinds and then you could add other toppings for an additional price. This is where I decided to try the smoothie texture and realized I liked that much better. I also realized that I love it when it has granola in it. I think the first one had just a tiny bit in it and I was really wishing it had more. Also the little cup it came in was so much cuter then the bowl.


 The only down fall was there wasn't much seating, just two benches. But we both really enjoyed them. Mine was topped with organic hemp granola, fresh bananas, raw coconut flakes, and drizzled with honey. 

The next place we tried was Island Vintage Coffee in Haleiwa. This was located in the Haleiwa Store Lots which was one of my favourite places. They are known for their coffee and specialty treats but they are also a cafe that sells all kinds of foods. They had 4 options of Acai bowls and I tried the Haupia Moana Bowl. Haupia is coconut in Hawaiian and it came topped with this coconut cream which made the bowl so incredibly delicious. It also came with mango which is like nothing else. Melt in your mouth. The drizzle of honey also became a favourite staple when choosing my bowls. This bowl was definitely my favourite out of all of them so much so that its the only one I came and got again another morning. I honestly still dream about it. And it comes in the cutest little mug.


I mean, c'mon. So cute. The mug didn't come with it but you could purchase the mug separately if you wanted it.


The last place we went was called Banzai Bowls. This was also located close to Haleiwa in Sunset Beach. This one also had like no seating but it was right next to the Pipeline which is known for its great surfing. Perfect to grab a bowl and go sit on the beach and watch the surfing. It had a huge selection as well. I wasn't really a fan of the container it came in. It was too deep or something so it just made it harder to eat. I also just thought the ratio was off. Too much acai and not enough granola and toppings. You can see I'm just being nit picky here. It was still delicious of course.


So there you have it. Acai heaven. If you are anywhere that sells Acai bowls. Do yourself a favour and try one. And then eat one for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment