Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

Favourite Oahu Eats.

Jul 29, 2018

Holy cow its been 6 months since Ryan and I went on our Oahu, Hawaii trip. I already posted blogs about most of our trip but never got around to posting about the food. I mean really, the food is one of the most important aspects about vacations so even though its been awhile I'm posting anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to remember everything. I'll be posting on some of our favourite things that we ate and what you should definitely try if you go to Oahu. (these are posted in no particular order).


  •  Malasada's from Leonard's Bakery: Malasada's are a Portugese doughnut without a hole. They are dusted with cinnamon and sugar and are filled with different flavours of custard. These are a really popular treat that is a must try. They are super delicious. My favourite was the Haupia (coconut). We let our's sit in the car on our way to the North Shore so when we ate them they were maybe a little too warm and so the custard was a little too runny for my liking. Next time I would eat it right away or even put it in the fridge for 5 minutes before I ate it. But still really delicious. Leonard's Bakery is located in Honolulu.


  • Shaved Ice at Matsumoto's: Matsumoto's is another really popular destination. They are said to have the best shaved ice on Oahu. Its the only place we got shaved ice so I can't really back that up but it was very delicious. But I think the best thing about it was the location. It is located in Haleiwa on the North Shore in this cute little square called Haleiwa Store Lots. When we went live music was playing right outside and its just a really fun place to hang out. I can't remember which flavours we got but I'm sure one of mine was rootbeer. They also had the cutest little gift shop where I bought a lot of my souvenirs.





  • Trying Loco Moco: Loco Moco is a traditional Hawaiian meal consisting of white rice, topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and brown gravy. You can get this dish all over the island at tons of different places but we tried it in Haleiwa at a restaurant called Fatboys. The dish didn't really appeal to me and with some of my food sensitivities I didn't try it. Ryan ordered it and  liked it. Its always fun to try something authentic to the place your visiting. They also had really yummy garlic fries that we tried. Strong but really good. 


  • Dole Whip at the Dole Plantation: When in Oahu you have to check out the Dole Whip Plantation. Its a really neat park with a cool gift shop, but is also home to the popular pineapple flavoured soft serve dessert. I've had the Disneyland version and this one didn't disappoint either. I couldn't tell you which was better though. I really enjoyed them both and I don't even like pineapple. Also pineapple in Hawaii is much better then what we get in Canada but it still isn't my favourite.



  • Pounder's located in Laie: We loved this restaurant and went twice over the duration of our stay. Location was big for this one too. It wasn't too far from where we were staying and located in the Polynesian Cultural center's market place which also has other shops and entertainment. Just a really fun place to check out and explore. More importantly it also has really good food. I ate the very best pizza I have ever had here. It had mascarpone and parmesan cheese, mango, prosciutto, and arugula, all drizzled with honey. It was amazing. They also have a bakery with so many delicious options. My favourite and one I still dream about, is this cinnamon roll. It was made from like a sweet bread which was more like butterhorn dough. It was seriously so amazing.


  • Pie at Ted's Bakery: Ted's Bakery is located in Sunset Beach and is known for their pie. We went for the pie but I found I enjoyed the food much more. They have really good breakfast options and also good sandwhiches and lunch plate's. We ate here a couple of times too. The pie was good, but honestly nothing special. The chocolate Haupia (coconut) cream pie was my favourite.



  • Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu: We love the Hard Rock Cafe. Its become a tradition to eat at one wherever we travel to and Ryan always buys a t-shirt. I loved the one in Honolulu. The food is always good but I loved how the restaurant was open to the outside. It's located on Waikiki beach and just has that beachy atmosphere.


There are so many dining options in Oahu that we obviously didn't even scratch the surface. These were just some of the things that we experienced and wanted to share. I also just love how fresh everything is. I wish we would have paid more attention to the fruit stands but any of the fruit we did have was so amazing. I don't like seafood either but I'm sure its to die for here if you like it. My very favourite thing I ate here though was the Acai bowls. I ate one every single day so they deserve their own post which will hopefully get posted before the summer ends and not another 6 months away. 

Anyway, I hope you make it out to Oahu sometime and get to try some of these delicious items. I hope your summer has been rockin so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment