Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

Shy Ann dance competition (part 1)

Apr 27, 2018

Yikes. Its been a really long time since I've blogged. April's been kind of a weird month though. The weather has been pretty depressing and I guess I just haven't been in the mood to write about anything. But the sun is out and I have lots to catch up on. Well, not really, just don't want to get too behind. We did enjoy our Easter break. It was nice getting a break from school, and we went and stayed at my Dad's and hung out with family for the weekend. We went to the Calgary music museum and had a really nice time exploring and checking everything out. Here are some of my fav pics.






We always have a good time with family.

Competition season has begun for us. We do 3 competitions in the Spring. It's a very busy time for us but we really do love it. Its nice to see the girls hard work pay off as they showcase the dances they have been working on throughout the year. Performing is their favourite part so its nice that they get to do that a few times over the year instead of just once at year end show. We headed up to Edmonton Wednesday morning with our friends the Ross's, who would be our roommates for the week. This year was a bit of a change for me with two girls dancing. Hopefully by next year I'll be a pro at it again, but this year I was pretty distracted and off balance. I definitely needed my friends help and support this year. Thanks to all of our dance family for always being there when you need something, but a special shout out to Tara and Tamara. They always have my back and pick up the slack when I fall short. You two are the absolute best and I'm grateful for your friendship, in the dance world and out of it.

We made good time to Edmonton and headed right to Allard Hall where the competition was taking place. Hayley had her tap group, and McKenna had her ballet group, and modern group. I didn't take any pictures the first day because I was so worried about getting everything done.

"A" You're Adorable (Hayley's tap group) danced great and got a gold standing, 2nd place, and the choreography award.

Masquerade (McKenna's ballet group) didn't dance their best and had a few spacing issues and mistakes so they received silver.

Earth Song (McKenna's modern group) did amazing. Its one of my favourite pieces and gives me all the feels every time they perform it. They received gold, and 1st place.

When we were done we checked into the hotel, got settled, and headed to bed.

First day, getting back into the groove

Us crammed into the elevator with all of our stuff. If you look over my shoulder in the reflection you can see Hayley

Hayley and I were up first thing the next morning for her ballet group.


They too didn't dance it their best and had quite a few spacing issues and received silver. Don't get me wrong. Its these little's first year in competition and they did great. Silver is still good, but its like what our friend Elliot said after getting silver on their ballet "I'm not a silver dancer", and they aren't, but they are human and aren't always on their "A" game which is perfectly fine. It's all a learning and growing experience and I always think its amazing that these kids get up and perform even though they know someone is judging them and scoring them. But I want to be honest about how they did and the scores they received. I also want them to be able to come off the stage and think yay, I did it. and sometimes they'll come off and think well that wasn't my best but that's okay, I'll nail it next time. Anyway, McKenna danced later in the day so after a little break at the hotel we were back at the theatre.



Star Baby (McKenna's jazz group) and Happy (McKenna's tap group) both received gold. One little girl in her tap group couldn't find the bodysuit part of her costume. As they were warming up one of the Dad's got a picture of them all huddled in a circle holding hands. He showed us the picture and we were like "what are they doing" and he said they were praying. We all chuckled about it, but when I asked McKenna if they were praying for a good mark, she said no, that they were praying the little girl would find her bodysuit in time. I thought it was the sweetest thing. If the girl doesn't have her costume, she can't go out on stage and dance. The bodysuit wasn't found in time and the little girl was crying and I love how our group came together to hug her and make her feel better. I know it was hard for all those kids to get up their and dance without their teammate.

Love these beautiful girls and all of our dance family
We had another long day and then were back at the theatre first thing the next morning for Hayley's jazz duet and jazz group. Hayley was performing her duet with a few other Joys kids and it was fun to cheer them all on and celebrate together, even if they were competing against each other. I thought they all danced really well. Hayley and Ava did awesome and received gold and 2nd place with a $40 scholarship. Hayley was so happy she got to spend her money on a new dress, and an LOL pet. Her jazz group went well too and they received gold and 3rd place.






McKenna also had her ballet duo later that afternoon. Her and Duncan did beautifully and received gold, 1st place in their category, and then 1st place overall in the session which came with a $60 scholarship. Duncan was so sweet and even got McKenna flowers.




Saturday we had a free day and then we were back on Sunday for McKenna's big ballet group Piazolla. Its a tango themed dance with 37 kids. Its beautiful and another one of my favourite's to watch. They did awesome. McKenna had one little slip when she was doing partner work with Duncan because the stage was a bit slippery. These things are bound to happen and she recovered nicely. They ended up getting high gold, 1st place, and the choreography award.

Missing some of the dancers



Monday was our last day. McKenna had her ballet solo. I was pretty nervous for her. She said she was only a little nervous. She did amazing and received gold. I was so proud of her. Its not easy getting up there all by yourself. Then later at 6:00pm she had her tap trio. They too did awesome and received gold, 1st place in their category, and 3rd place overall in the session with a $30 scholarship.






After the adjudication we headed home. We didn't get home until midnight. Needless to say it was a long, exhausting week (I'm still recuperating) but we had so much fun. I love watching my girls dance and we always have such a fun time. Anyway, this is a long post so I'm going to stop here and continue in another post which will be more about the behind the scene's and what we do when we're not dancing.


1 comment :