Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

Back to School...sort of.

Sep 17, 2020

 Okay. I know I'm being a little dramatic with my title. I am really happy and grateful the kids are back to in person school but it is definitely not the same. But before I get into school...

Ryan had eye surgery. It is a procedure kind of like lasik but a little different. He went up to Calgary to get it done and it was a bit of a healing process but he is good now and eyeglass and contact free. Still can't quite get rid of taking large amounts of eye drops yet, but that will come.

We moved. But I will blog about that in detail one day.


We celebrated the end of summer with The Pop Stop and friends.

And then it was the first week of school. When given the option of going to school or doing it online I didn't even need time to think about it. I know that going to school in person is the best thing for me and my kids. I respect that it wasn't an easy decision for a lot of you and that we are all just doing the best we can, and I believe that everyone needs to do what is best for them. We heard all the information about what that would look like and I felt good and comfortable with all the decisions. To be honest I would have been okay with them going back to school a 100% normal with a little added hand washing and being a bit more strict with coming to school sick. Ty and McKenna were the first to go back. They are attending the middle that we are zoned for and are eligible to take the bus. This has been a huge lifesaver for me when trying to get 4 kids in 3 different schools to where they need to be.

He was pretty nervous because he is starting the year at a new school and he's in grade 8, which means most of the kids have been going to school together for quite awhile. And then you add Covid to that scenerio where you are with the same kids for everything and you're all in masks. Its been difficult but he is a trooper and is making the best of it. Its hard when there is no extra clubs or options to meet a bunch of new people and really be able to see who you click with the most. Luckily his bestie is also at the same school just in a younger grade, but they have been hanging out after school as much as they can. Ty is a natural leader. He has the best sense of humor and loves to be hanging out with friends and being busy with stuff to do. His favourite thing to do right now is bike in the coulees. He also is a genuinely nice guy. He deeply cares about others and doesn't care about being popular, which tends to actually make him popular. And I'm not talking about the popular where you have the best name brand clothes and your a jerk to everyone that's not in your group of friends. I'm talking about the popular where most people know and actually like you. I'm sure he will do just fine at his new school and will get to know his whole class in no time.

He's also not much of a smiler in pictures. McKenna was so excited to get back to school and see all of her friends. She has a few in her class this year. She is a social butterfly and has a good group of friends. Its a huge bummer that she doesn't get to do dance in school right now though. That was definitely one of her top favourite things about school. They are doing options as a class and switching every month, so she'll eventually get to do it. But again, It is not the same. Not even close. At lunch she says they go outside and each class is in a certain area where they have to stay, but her and her friends will yell across the field to each other (which is just so bizarre that this is what our life is like right now). She is responsible and a hard worker and still really loves to dance. Thankfully she is back at the studio doing what she loves.


Nate and Hayley ended up having their first day on the same day, which worked out perfectly because they are still going to school where we use to live. The decision to keep Hayley there was so easy for me. Its a smaller school with smaller class sizes and she would have the same teacher who she loves and is comfortable with. They can actually social distance the desks in her class so that when she is sitting at her desk she can take her mask off. She is having a great start to the year and has some good friends in her class. She is my worrier, but has been doing so well this year so far. She is growing up way too fast for my liking but I am really enjoying the little person she is becoming. She is kind, and sassy (which I think is a good thing), and loves to be with her friends. She deeply care's about people and is always dishing out compliments. 

Nate only had one morning of school the first week back. He is in High School now but its in the same building so not much different for him. He has all his friends in his class and so far, so good. He will be really bummed if basketball is a no go this winter. He loves to play the guitar and piano, is working on studying for his learners (not as much as I would like), and has a couple really good friends. Not to mention he's tall, dark, and handsome.

I don't know what else to say really. School is an interesting thing right now. I'm glad my kids are back and I appreciate how hard the teachers and staff are working with these new circumstances but I have this pit in my stomach that just doesn't feel right. This all feels really bizarre right now. I'm not one of those people who just jumps on bandwagons and does things because someone in a position of power, or the loud majority says it should be so. Its tough. I do my best to do my part but I fear we are going too far to one extreme with this. I'm not saying it isn't something serious that we should be ignoring, but I also don't think we should be fearing it as much as we (society) seems to be. I really hope we can figure out how to live with Covid as normally as possible. None of us are guaranteed any amount of time on this Earth with or without Covid so I hope we are all living our best lives no matter what. And I hope everyone is being kind and compassionate as we all try to navigate this new thing. If you ever need someone to talk to. I'm here. Always willing to listen because life can be just so dang tough. But I'm going to try my best to concentrate on the things that bring me joy and that whisper to me that life is amazing. This World is amazing. And I am so blessed to be here, right now. Living. breathing. loving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment