Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

ADAPT Exams.

Mar 12, 2018

The girls just finished doing their ADAPT tap and jazz exams. Hayley did her pre-jr jazz exam, and McKenna did her Jr 2 tap exam. ADAPT is a dance syllabus that our studio follows and teaches. It helps them create a strong technical foundation and also artistic expression. Its important to me that if I'm investing a lot of time and money into dance that I know the teacher's are experienced, well trained, and following some sort of syllabus or curriculum. There are too many studio's out there that don't actually teach quality dancing and they just sort of do their own thing. If you want to go anywhere in dance you have to know the proper technique, and its just important to me that my kids get the best training for the sports they love even if they don't pursue them past high school. My girls have had nothing but good experiences doing their dance exams and I appreciate them being challenged and tested on their abilities.

This was Hayley's first exam. I love how at this age they don't even know they should feel nervous about it. Its just fun. And I love that they get use to doing them at such a young age. Our studio is really good at making sure the dancer's are ready and well prepared so my girls always go into the exam feeling good and confidant. Hayley had a good experience and said it went well. The best part is getting to miss school and then having a date with Mom afterwards.




McKenna is becoming a pro at these exams and still doesn't get nervous. She made a goal for herself so we'll see if she achieved it when we get the exams back. I always tell my girls that they should always try their best but that the exams are mostly for fun, and a good mark is just an added bonus. That may change for them over the years but for now, it works. In the middle of last year McKenna wasn't really loving tap and considered maybe dropping it for this year, but then during the summer dance intensive she decided to keep going with it and is really loving it this year. She even said its not far behind her love for ballet which is just crazy to me. She LOVES ballet. I keep telling her she will have to eventually drop something. Doing all three is just too much with two daughters in dance plus boys in other sport's. She did really well at learning her terminology and said the exam went really well. She has a really good group of kids in her class and she has made some of her very best friends at dance. We love our dance family.



McKenna also had a chance to try basketball this year. The school has a little mini basketball league for grades 4-6 which runs for like 2 months. We could fit it in with her dance schedule this year and I was a little surprised she actually wanted to try it. She has never had a desire to do anything other then dance. She loved it and I was proud of how hard she played. She was aggressive, always had her hands up ready, and took shots when she had a chance. I especially loved her tippy toe dancer run. Her and Ty were on the same team this year and my favourite moment was when Ty stole the ball and could have went for a lay up but McKenna was up by the basket and he passed it to her and she got the basket in. I'm kicking myself for not getting it on video. Was so proud of both of them. It was a fun season.


McKenna isn't in the team shot because she had to miss the last little bit of the last game to go to dance. They ended up winning all their games at the last tournament.


She loved playing basketball but she is definitely not giving up dance to pursue it. Still my beautiful ballerina.

I also received my fab fit fun box, which is a seasonal box subscription I've been getting for over a year now, and I think this is my favourite one yet.



Guys, the weather is warming up and Spring is right around the corner. This makes me especially happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment