Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

Dance Competition #1: Terpsichore

Apr 10, 2017

McKenna had her first dance competition this weekend in Calgary. We were lucky we only had to be there for two days, but that means two really busy days. We got into Calgary Friday night and checked into the hotel. McKenna had to dance bright and early Saturday morning. The girls got to swim in the pool for a couple of hours and then it was off to bed.



I barely slept at all but morning came and up we got. McKenna had her duet first thing in the morning, and then had 4 group dances that day too. I was especially nervous for her duet because its the first one she's ever done. She is doing a classical ballet duet with her friend from school Bella. They did a really good job and I was so proud of them. McKenna was disappointed with herself because she made a few mistakes. Why do they beat themselves up so much. I don't want competition to be about perfection and super high scores, I want it to be about showing people your love for dance. I think its great for confidence, self expression, and is a good outlet for kids as they grow up. It also teaches them to work hard. If high score's and awards come along with that then its an added bonus. Our dance community is hard to beat too. I love the way they support each other and help each other grow. Anyway, McKenna and Bella received a 92.6 (I think. It was 92. something) out of 100 which is a gold medal (uber gold is 93-100. They were so close) and received 2nd place overall for duo's/trio's in their age division. Not a bad way to start the competition. I just really want her to come off the stage feeling great about what she did and not worried about her score or the mistakes she made. Maybe that's just not possible for her, but we will try to get there :)


She also had modern, ballet, jazz, and tap, and they received gold for all of them. I thought they did a really good job. McKenna really wanted to work on looking up and not at the ground this year, and I thought she did great and definitely improved from last year. It was a busy but good day.






After tap we headed to Tara's Mom's house where we were spending the night. We were all so tired. I slept better, but still not great. We were up early again for their last dance. The big ballet production. This is probably my favourite dance this year. Its a big ballet production with 32 girls ranging in all ages. The seniors are on pointe, and there are flower basket and flower arches that they use. It is so beautiful and I get goosebumps every time I watch it. It has been such a neat experience for McKenna to dance with the older girls. They danced amazing and received uber gold, Miss Aurielle got an award for the choreography, and they got 1st overall in the production category with 96 points out of 100. Perfect end to the first competition. McKenna got a little emotional when it was time to leave because she didn't want it to end. I reminded her that we have 2 more competitions and Year End Show still. That girl loves to dance. And of course I wouldn't enjoy my weekend as much without these two by my side:


And all the other Mom's too. We have such an amazing group. And of course a shout out to Miss Joy, Miss Auri, and Miss K. They put so much time into every little detail. We are happy to be a part of their creative vision.

McKenna and I were pretty tired when we got home, and guess what, I finally had a really good night's sleep. Nothing like being back in your own bed. Now just two more weeks until the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment