Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

'Tis the Season.

Dec 9, 2017

But the season for what? Stressing about decorating, getting cards out, baking, giving gifts, spending way more money then we can afford, and pressure, pressure, and more pressure. This is what Christmas has become for me. I use to love Christmas but now, I honestly don't. I mean there are still things I love about it but mostly I just feel anxious. This isn't right. I don't want to feel this way about such a beautiful, merry holiday. I sort of feel like Cindy Lou Who in the Grinch. Something with Christmas has gone missing, changed somehow for me over the years and I need to figure out how to get the magic back. It may take awhile but I'm hopeful that it will be fully restored. One thing I've figured out over the years is that I'm the happiest when my life is simple so we are going very simple this year. I got my big beautiful tree but the thought of decorating it overwhelms me. I even went to buy ornaments and just couldn't do it. I was just going to leave it this year but my Mother in-law had all these poinsettia flowers she brought over so I just placed those throughout and I think it looks fantastic. Simple, but beautiful.We put the kids tree up and decorated it over the weekend. Nate wasn't interested in helping at all and just sat there watching the rest of us and the kids argued and fought the whole time. Seriously, it wasn't even fun.

This is before I added the flowers. Haven't taken a pic of that yet.






 Something I have really been enjoying lately in the evenings is getting into my new festive-ish p.j's, having a cup of seasonal tea (in a Christmas mug of course), turning the fireplace on and cuddling/chatting with Ryan (and sometimes a kid or two) on the couch. The tree is on and it just feels so good and comforting. This has pretty much been happening every night and I have been loving it. So if this is what Christmas is going to be for me and how I start getting the magic back. I'll take it.







In other news, Nate has started basketball season. They had an opening tournament last weekend. It went good. We have a pretty decent team of all grade 7's which is almost unheard of in Coalhurst, but I think his favourite part is that his Dad is coaching him. We'll see if he feels the same way when the season is over. They played hard and got second place in the tournament. I am excited because I love watching basketball. I think its my favorite team sport to watch.



We got to watch my nephew on a new Christmas Hallmark movie. Its called "Switched for Christmas" starring Candace Cameron Bure and is really cute and fun so you should definitely go watch it. You can find it on You tube. It was really fun to see Ben. He did such a good job.


14 Years with this one.

Ty loved this little girl so much when she joined our family. He definitely paid the most attention to her, but this is a rare moment now a days.


Sometimes she ask's me to lay with her at night.
So, anyone else out there struggling with Christmas? What do you find joy in over the holidays?

1 comment :

  1. I agree with you. The simpler the better. I never do all the Christmas baking and shopping. We try to DO more with the kids and have small useful things under the tree. Concentrate more on the birth and life of Jesus Christ then santa and presents. And do some service projects as a family. Your tree is beautiful with just the lights. Hope you have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete