Olsen Aventures

kelli instagram-001 kelli pinterest-001 kelli youtube-001 kelli contact-001

Roxy Fitness Event.

Aug 17, 2017

Last weekend Ryan and I headed to Canmore for a Roxy Fitness Event that I had signed up for. I was introduced to Roxy brand by my cousin when I was in High School. I fell in love with their clothes and have been wearing them ever since. They have these fitness events all over the world. They do stand up paddle boarding (SUP), a 5k run, and then end with a yoga. I thought it would be so fun to do one but never thought they'd come anywhere close to me. When I found out they were coming to Canmore I just had to sign up.

We headed to Canmore Friday night. The kids were staying at Roy & Connie's. On our drive we legit passed Santa Claus. No, seriously. The license plate says SClause, and then someone who looks just like Santa was driving, and there were even presents in the back of the car. Legit people.


When we arrived at Shannon's we just visited for a bit then headed to bed. Saturday morning we got up and went out for breakfast. Now that I have all these diet restrictions it sometimes makes it tricky to eat out. I asked the waitress if they had gluten-free options and she said "We can do anything gluten-free today, except the waffles, pancakes, and toast" Ha ha. I was thinking do you know what gluten is. That's pretty much nothing then. So I got a bowl of fruit and some potato's. We headed in to Banff and went and rented a couple SUP boards for an hour. I was doing a 1k race the next morning and hadn't ever really been on one, so thought it might be a good idea to get some practice in. We had so much fun. I love it. I really want one of my own for next summer. Then we ate lunch, walked around town for a bit, and then hiked Tunnel Mountain. I really wanted to hike but it was almost all uphill and pretty intense. I was feeling a bit foolish after because I had to run a 5k the next day and I wore myself out and was thinking I'd probably be sore from the hike. It was a nice hike but it was pretty smoky so the view wasn't as great. After that we headed back to Shannon and Jode's and then went and got pizza from Red Rock Pizza, Jody's pizza place. I wasn't sure what to order because I can't have gluten or dairy. I mean, thats most of the pizza. Jody assured me he could make me something tasty, so I had a gluten free pizza, with chicken, bacon, and arugula. It was actually fantastic. We also got a house salad and their dressing is literally the best I've ever had. Ryan and I both devoured the salad. If you're in the area. You have to eat there. So. good.









The next morning I was up early for my fitness event. I was pretty nervous but very excited. Ryan dropped me off to check in while he went and grabbed some breakfast. I checked in and then took the shuttle bus to the lake where the SUP race would be. Ryan met me there. There would be two heat's. I was there early so I was in the first heat. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. It looked like everyone was borrowing boards from roxy, which maybe meant they were just as un-experienced as I was. When I was practicing the day before, I realized I could go faster and had better control if I stayed on my knees, so that's what I did. The race started and I quickly pulled in front and thought "I could actually win this" so I went for it. I went around the Lake once in the lead the whole time and then they were like "you have to go around again" I had already went full out so I was worried I would tire, but I kept pushing and maintained my lead up until the very end. I went to turn and kind of stopped which helped a couple of others to catch up. Right at the finish line when I picked up my board to run the last little bit I totally wiped out. Ha ha. I was up really quick though and still got first. It felt amazing. And I won a $250 gift card to Roxy. Yes please. Such a fun experience.






Then it was back to the main event for the 5k. I have never run 5k before so I knew I wouldn't be winning anything here. I just wanted to keep a good pace and run the whole time. I did it and was really proud of myself. I think I ran it in 35 minutes. It was really hard and I felt so dead by the end, but so happy with the results. I am not a long distance runner at all, but it something I'd like to work on. Then we ended the event with yoga and it was perfect. I love yoga and it was amazing to do outside with a beautiful mountain view. I seriously had such a good experience. I hope they come back again next year. I would do it again in a heart beat.









A true roxy girl. Everything I wore the whole time was Roxy. No lululemon on this girl.

And thanks to Ry for hanging out with me and supporting me all morning. Love you.

 

I was pretty beat and sore after that. We visited with Shan for a bit and then headed home.

Who wants to do it with me next year?

Oh, and I made a little video about my experience. Click HERE to check it out.

1 comment :